0191 209 4556
    Out of Office Hours  
  • For all emergencies call 07763 281 090

Student guide to moving into your new house

Student guide to moving into your new house

It’s getting to that time where you are moving into your new house, ready to start another year of uni! You have found the perfect new home, now it’s the hard part…trying to fit all your possessions into one car. Once you have managed to play Tetris with it all, it is time to head to your new house. It can be daunting moving into a new house. So we have tried to make it easier for you and created a list to help make sure you haven’t missed anything!


Make sure all paperwork is signed before moving into your new house

Depositphotos_5310956_m-2015-401x220 (1)

Before you move in, every tenant from the house needs to make sure they have completed all their paperwork. Otherwise no one can collect their keys. This includes all the tenancy agreements must be signed, all references checked and guarantor forms to be completed. So we advise to get these done as soon as possible.


Remember your passport

With the new Right to Rent legislation, you must provide us with your passport and if needed a residence permit. This is essential for you to be able to collect your keys.


Make sure you do an inventory

When moving in make sure you do a thorough inspection of the inventory. The inventory will help you cross check any damages when you leave, to make sure you don’t have to pay for something which was there before hand. Therefore, make sure you do a thorough inspection before you move in, expressing any concerns and taking pictures of each room of how it was before you moved in.


Sort out utility bills

Utility bills - moving into your new house

When you move into a house, you will probably be paying for your utility bills separately and it is your decision to find the right utility provider. When you move, it is essential you tell the current provider you are now the new tenant and give them the up to date meter readings. This will ensure that you are not paying for more than you have used.

For more information on how to set up your utility bills check out our ‘Student guide to help setting up your utility bills’ blog post.


Don’t be paying council tax

If all the tenants are full time students, then you will be exempt from council tax. This needs to be done as soon as possible. In order to do this, you will have to fill out an online application form. Make sure you have all the details of all tenants before you start.


Once you have done this, you can now enjoy living in your new house! We hope you enjoy living with us.


If you are still looking for a house, like here to view our full list of properties for rent.

Comments are closed


Our Office

0191 209 4556


Newcastle Student Housing
196 Heaton Road

Opening Hours

  • Monday9am - 6.30pm
  • Tuesday9am - 6.30pm
  • Wednesday9am - 6.30pm
  • Thursday9am - 6.30pm
  • Friday9am - 5.30pm
  • Saturday10am - 4pm

Website Wriggle Marketing